Thursday, May 14, 2015

Hands2Help progress so far...

I had a few minutes, so I thought I'd bring you up-to-date with my Hands2Help challenge quilts.  I've got the top of the "Dancing Plus Blocks" done:
The fabric line is "Apple of My Eye" from Riley Blake.  The blocks didn't use much of the fabric (I bought a FQ bundle), so I cut some 10" blocks, cut them in half, and used a pattern from Me and My Sister Designs.  I've only got the first step done, but it's progress!

And finally, I can show the disappearing 4-patch quilt blocks that I made for Cathy - we're doing a swap, using large scale florals:
Now that I've got all that accomplished, I think I'm going to find an easy knitting project to work on for the rest of the afternoon!

Thursday, May 7, 2015

It's that time again...

Hello, and welcome to May!  I've lost a week or two, and I'm still having a hard time getting my head around the fact that April is done and gone, and May is here in it's place.
If you regularly follow my blog, you'll notice that I posted my challenge to complete for the month of April, and then nothing else since.  Yeah, the best laid plans....  My project didn't go any farther than what was pictured in the April 7th post - I ended up being admitted to hospital for emergency surgery; had complications and spent 5 days in ICU.  But, for the most part, that's behind me now - I have a follow-up surgery to look forward to, but I'll worry about that when we actually have a date scheduled; until that happens, I plan to get this month's project completed on time.  (I might even try to complete another quilt for the Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge 2015.)  The quilts that I'm working on will be donated to kids in the foster care system - a cause that's close to my heart.  When we were young, my parents were foster parents for 20+ years.  It was a growing experience for me - there were quite a few kids that we cared for over the years - and we saw a lot of things that made us REALLY appreciate our parents, even though we didn't always agree with them!
So, here's a pic of the blocks I'm working on for the first challenge quilt:
I found the pattern on a blog (The Colorful Fabriholic), and I knew that it would be perfect for one of the quilts I'm planning for the H2H challenge.  The fabric is Apple of My Eye for Riley Blake.  It's going well so far, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to have the quilt top done, and then quilt and bind it in time to deliver it by June 12th.  I'm hoping to regularly update you on the progress.
I also got my swap blocks done for Cathy - we're doing a monthly swap of four Disappearing 4-Patch quilt blocks, using Kona "Snow" and large scale floral fabrics.  We each make 8 blocks every month; 4 to swap and 4 to keep.  Her blocks went out in the mail last week, but I don't think she's received them yet, so I can't show them - I'll probably share them in my next post.