Wednesday, February 5, 2014

January's project was a bust; let's try something new!

I ran into SO many issues with my January "Lovely Year of Finishes" project - I finally just threw it aside.  I may pick it up again at some point (the fabrics cost too much to just abandon), but for now, it's not on my mind.  I'm choosing a fun project for February, especially seeing as it is a shorter month.  One of our quilt guild challenges this year is to make a project entirely from stash.  I've been bookmarking projects that appealed to me, but when I saw this one, I knew that I'd found THE quilt that I'm going to make.  It's in the Fons and Porter Scrap Quilts magazine (Fall 2011), and is called Technicolor Braid.  It's a little different than the traditional French Braid quilts, because the "legs" are half-hexagon blocks!  The best part is, you make it with 2 1/2" strips, and you can cut all the parts using a 60° triangle ruler!  No new ruler to buy, no trimming of the finished strips, and I found that after I cut the strip, if I flip the ruler over and line it up on the right lines, I can nip the points off the sharper corners to make lining the blocks up really easy!
The pattern calls for 5 strips, separated by sashing strips, but I might make it wider than that.  Here's a pic of the 5 strips I've started, and another one of some of the pieces ready to be sewn on:


  1. I really like those!! And especially the fact that there are no excess corners to trim after all the piecing is done.