Sunday, January 16, 2011

A bit of this, a bit of that....

I'm trying to be a better "poster" of updates - and I'm realizing that my original intention to blog quilt-making posts alternating with card-making posts may not work too well every time. I usually make multiples of card designs that I really like, so when I need a card, I can just grab one from my box. You've probably already seen 4 or 5 like it, so what's the point of putting up another one? So.... you might be stuck with quilt-type posts for the next entry or two (or 3...).
So, what's up, you ask? Well, there's the new "Layer Cake
Quilt-along" button on my sidebar. I'd noticed it on the blog of another quilter, and it sounded really fun! You buy a "layer cake" (a collection of fabrics from a quilt fabric line - usually about 30-40 fabrics - cut 10" square) - then, every 2 weeks, you go to the website to check out the newest pattern that's been posted. You decide which of the fabrics you're going to use, and you make the block and post a picture of the block to the quilt-along site. If you post within a certain time, you become eligible to win prizes. This is the first block of the 5 I've completed so far.
I've also started a quilt that really grabbed my attention the first time I saw the pattern. It's called "Costa Maya", and it looks a lot more complicated than it really is (or at least I hope it is!) Hopefully, this will link you to a picture of the pattern: http://www.kayewood.com/item/Costa_Maya_Quilt_Pattern/834/p3c57 - I've had the fabric in my stash for a bit, so I haven't broken my resolution to not buy more fabric until I finish up a few projects. Here are the 2 blocks that the pattern will build on:
There is another border to go on, and then the magic of the block begins! I'll be posting a few more pictures of the quilt-in-progress - you'll have to keep checking this space!

2 comments:

  1. Love the block for the 'Layer-cake-quilt-along'...I hope you win a prize! Now I have to wait 2 whole weeks (or more) to see the next block! Can't wait to see the Costa Maya quilt finished!
    Unlike you, I have decided to 'not' be a better poster, well at least for the month of January. But like you, I have also decided I need to use what I have before I go out and buy anything new.
    That could keep me busy for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not me....I need something new!!!

    Can't way to see the finished quilt either! It's going to be lovely!

    ReplyDelete