Monday, November 12, 2012

Christmas placemats

Our quilt guild was recently asked to make placemats for an annual Christmas dinner for area seniors. One of the local service groups hosts the event, donating the food and staff. They asked if our guild would mind making / donating placemats for the seniors to use for the dinner; they would then be able to take them home to use for their own Christmas meal. When we were asked to participate, we immediately agreed to help out - it worked out that each guild member needed to make between 5-8 placemats. We were free to choose our own design; the table linens would be red or green, so we were asked to incorporate those colours as well. One of my quilting friends had recently shown some placemats on our quilt forum, and I liked the design concept - the placemat was divided into 4 sections, each one made of a different fabric. I chose to use all Christmas / winter fabrics, and quilted the placemats with traditional shapes - stars and Christmas trees. The pic is of two of the placemats - one from the front so you can see the fabrics and design, the other one is from the back, to see the quilting. I had a picture in my mind of how I wanted the quilting to look - and it ended up being pretty close! I had the backing fabric in my stash for about 7 years - it's not often that you need green cotton with a design of strings of Christmas lights, but it was the perfect finishing touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment