Saturday, April 6, 2013

A card and a quilt project...

It's been quite a while since I've posted a card - mostly because it's been a long time since I've made a card.  I still really enjoy card-making, but I seem to go in spurts of card-making lately, and it just hasn't happened in a while.
So, to break that "famine" - I made a few cards this morning, pretty much exactly the same, except that the colours that I used changed from one card to the other.  I found this idea on Pinterest (honestly, where did I find inspiration before Pinterest?), and decided to give it a try.  It's a very easy, basic card, but I hope it has a big impact on someone's day.  I have 3 friends that are going through assorted medical crises; I found that getting a card in the mail made my day when I was having health issues - so, hopefully this card will help each of them get through another day.
The card
itself is really easy, just (8) 1 1/4" circles arranged in rows, with a coordinating butterfly at the end of the 3rd row.  A sentiment at the bottom finished it off (although I had some issues with this particular stamp - I had to restamp the sentiment at least twice to get the whole thing).   This card uses up a bit of the Groovy Guava paper that I still have - and even a tiny bit of GG cardstock to make the butterfly!  The other cards use Soft Sky and Old Olive - yes, I still have some Soft Sky paper and cardstock too!
...and now for the quilt...  I'm still trying to finish at least one "pre-started" project per month, and link it up to  "A Lovely Year of Finishes".  This month, I'm going to try to finish this whole quilt - piecing, quilting and binding:  
The quilt pattern is "Charming Chevrons" from the "Christa Quilts" website.  I bookmarked it a few months ago, when Christa offered it as a quilt-along, but, apart from cutting the triangles and stitching a few blocks for it then, I really haven't had time to work on it - until now.  Christa's quilt was made using Kona Cotton's Classic palette, but I chose to use "Simply Color" by V. and Co.  I LOVE the bright colours and the patterns are interesting - but it's a bit more difficult to put together than I was thinking it would be - I'm trying to not use the same colour in any row, but trying to keep the same pattern repeats to just one or two is a lot more challenging!  So, in case you see me soon, and there's a large-ish bare spot on my head, you'll know what I've been working on!  I'm off now to link up to the "Lovely Finishes" site - and then the sewing machine and I will hopefully have a very productive afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment