Sunday, June 30, 2013

June "Lovely Year of Finishes" project

I wasn't sure that I was actually going to get my quilt top done in time for this month, but I managed to pull it off!  We'll just ignore the fact that I (almost) had to pull an all-nighter to do so....!
I really loved the fabrics in the Simple Marks - Summer charm packs that I used, but choosing a fabric for the border was a little challenging.  My LQS had ordered the turquoise solid that was part of the line, but when I stopped in to buy the fabric, the turquoise hadn't come in yet (probably about 6 weeks after the rest of the line came), so I ended up going in a very different direction, and chose the orange solid.  Part of that choice stems from the fact that I have a really cute backing (and binding) fabric for the quilt, and it has a few greens, and some red and yellow and orange....  I thought that the red as a border would be too strong for the rest of the quilt.  I think that the orange is really stunning! and I may use it to bind the quilt too, instead of using the backing fabric for the binding.
So, here's the completed quilt top:
(The pattern is a freebie - you can find it here:
I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do with this quilt - there are no babies or little ones in our lives, but I loved the pattern so much, and just had to make it.  Since then, we've received requests from a number of different groups to make and donate quilts to folks that have lost everything in the on-going floods in Alberta.  I'm thinking that this quilt would make a child forget about some of the tough things they've had to deal with recently, and give them some joy instead, so I'll be quilting this quilt, and a few more for my July project, and have them ready to send out west in September.
I'm hoping to post my July challenge tomorrow or Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment