Wednesday, February 1, 2017

January 2017 UFO challenge quilt completed!

At the beginning of the year, I decided that I'd better get to working on some of my (very) many UFOs.  Some of them are quilts, some are knitting / crocheting projects, and some of them are more organizational (I still have things of my mom's to sort through - she passed away almost 5 years ago...).  It's definitely time to finish, destash, donate - you get the picture.
Judy over at Patchwork Times challenged us to make a list of 12 of our UFOs.  Each month, she'll pick a number, and we have to work on / finish the project on our list that corresponds to that number.  I dutifully made my list (which I forgot to post), and when she announced that January's project would be #3 on our lists, I was excited to see that it was one of my oldest UFOs!
Way back in 2010, Moose on the Porch Quilts hosted a layer-cake-quilt-along.  I thought it looked like a great way to make a quilt, but I had never bought a layer cake before, so I headed off to my LQS.  The only layer cake they had in stock was by Kansas Troubles- not exactly my style, but, it was a layer cake, so it came home with me.  I finally finished the blocks in 2012, but the fabrics didn't really excite me, so it got tucked away in a box.  I found it back in Nov. 2016, and decided that I needed to finish the quilt and give it to someone that was more in need of a warm quilt, and not so fussy about the dark colours.  I also found out that one of the block designers is a fellow Ontarian - I stumbled on her blog one day, and she encouraged me to finish the quilt - so Sarah, here it is!
Sarah's block is the purple basket, left side, row 2.  I still have to finish off some threads, but that's easily enough done in an evening, so it should be on the "donate" pile tomorrow morning!

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo for you!! Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the finish, Jannette! It looks great. White was a great idea for the sashing :)

    ReplyDelete