Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Leader / ender project - and Quilty 365

Today is the first Scraptastic Tuesday for 2016 - and being new to this challenge, I wanted to make sure to link up to it!  Basically, you work on something "scrappy" and you post a picture of it - whether it's completed or just progress made on a project.
I'm currently working on a new quilt (no pics yet), but there are a lot of spots that require pressing before you can go on to the next step.  I really like to press all the parts at one time - and I hate to stop what I'm doing, cut my threads, and then have to make sure that I grab my threads when I start again, to prevent a horrible "bird's nest" of threads when I start stitching again.  The best way I've found to work around that issue is to have a "leader / ender" project on the go at the same time.  Basically, it's a work-in-progress - but it's really not as critical a project as the one I'm working on.  When I finish stitching a row on my "real" project, I grab a few pieces of my "leaders / enders" and I stitch them together.  Then I press my original project, and start stitching it again, with no "bird's nests" or wasted thread!
I found a really great leader / ender project this past summer when I did the Hands2Help challenge.  One of the guest bloggers, Joanne, shared one of her favourite "go-to" patterns - one she called 'simple bricks'.  It's SO easy to do!  Choose a size (1.5" x 2.5"; 2.5" x 4.5" or 3.5" x 6.5"); cut ALL of your fabric to the size you chose, and start sewing them together.  First, you sew 2 together along the long sides, press your seams, then grab another brick -sew it across the top of those 2 blocks; repeat with the bottom; press.  Finally, sew 2 strips together on the short edge, press and sew that long strip to the side of your new block.  Repeat for the other side - and that's it!  I told you it was simple!  The problem with that block is - it's really addictive!  I found myself sewing multiple strips or sections together, when it's just meant to be an in-between "project".
Have a look at how it turns out:
The top shows 2 blocks, and the bottom photo is 3 blocks sewn together.  I'm using the 2.5" x 4.5" size, and I just may have this top done before I finish my "real" quilt!
I'm also keeping up with the Quilty 365 challenge - sewing one block each day of the year.  These are the blocks for Jan. 9-12, so I'm still keeping pace...  3 of the blocks used batik scraps, and the pink and grey owls fabric was leftover scraps from a baby bib that I just made for a friend's baby granddaughter.  I already have my fabric chosen for tomorrow's blocks, so that will probably be my first item sewn in the morning. 
I'm linking up to the Scraptastic Tuesday post.

1 comment:

  1. Now that would be ironic - finishing the inbetween project before the real one! Those scraps can get under your skin! All looks so lovely - keep going. Thanks for the shout out and for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete