Friday, January 8, 2016

Quilty 365

A blog post with the button for Quilty 365 caught my eye just at the beginning of the new year.  I wasn't really looking for more "new" projects, and yet, the concept sounded intriguing - make a quilt block for every day of the year - marking each day with a different fabric or combination of fabrics.
I'm almost positive that everyone is making circles, but I can be a bit of a rebel sometimes, and I've decided to make my blocks using Jan Ochterbeck's Dancing Plus block variation.
I don't think that I'll be posting my new block every day, but will probably bunch them up a bit.  I didn't intend to go 8 days!  I was also going to note why I chose each particular fabric, but that's going to get REALLY long and wordy, and it's not my intention to bore anyone!  I will note though, that my first block used one of the florals that I used for my Disappearing 4-patch block swap with Cathy.  The second block is a great mottled blue fabric - just like the sky that day; the third block shows snowflakes - like the ones that I hoped would fall before Christmas...  I also thought about using all blue fabrics for Jan. - the chosen colour for the Rainbow Scrappy Challenge, but after making a few blue blocks, I decided that I might not be able to handle making 30 blue blocks in a row!  Then I found my batik scraps... So, here are my first 8 blocks:
It might be a little tricky to pick out exactly what a "Dancing Plus" block looks like, so here's the top left corner block - once the block is made, you can tilt it either to the left or right, and trim it down - then, when they're all assembled, they'll look like they're dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment